Meer dan een eeuw actief voor Hoorns erfgoed

Hoorn's Religious Heritage walk: religious statues and wall panels

16. Achterstraat

kaart We cross over into the Achterstraat with on the corner a large building known as De Doelen (the targets).

foto linksfoto rechts

It was here that the civic guard or 'schutters' guilds had their headquarters and exercise yard for target practice.The building dates from 1615 and consists of three parts: a 1648 pillared side wall which has lost its gable top; the Hendrik de Keyzer façade with its decorative doorway of 1615 ( also missing its top); and a long section built in 1778.

The arched stone entrance is crowned with a statue group representing the martyrdom of St. Sebastian .As we noted at the start of our route (1. Achter de Vest, St. Sebastian's Gate) Saint Sebastian was the Patron Saint of the 'Schutters' or Bow-men's Guilds.

There is a small tablet in the wall with surprisingly two unicorns.

The building is now owned by the Stichting Hendrick de Keyser. This is the end of our walk,we hope you enjoyed it.